Unfortunately, successful ICOs attract scammers and hackers. This article will show you the most common threats and hopefully stay safe.
You may come across messages in which links to phishing websites are shared. Clicking the link will take you to a website that looks exactly like a popular wallet or exchange; but when you enter the login and the password, the hacker will have access to your account.
Fake ICO sites
These websites may look almost identical to the original ICO website but show a different Ethereum address. If you send your funds there, you will obviously not get any H2O tokens. The official HydroMiner site is hydrominer.org and the ICO page is https://www.hydrominer.org/token-sale/.
Often, the address looks very similar to the original. For example, could you tell at first glance that HydroMlNER contains an “L” in Miner instead of the “i”?
We recommend you to be vigilant of the other malicious sites and inform us immediately in case you come across any of those. It may also be useful to read about Dave Appleton’s experience here.
Check out the address of the website and make sure it is correct or even enter it manually for extra security.
Social media messaging
Slack and Telegram messaging are often used by scammers these days, so be extremely skeptical of the messages from unknown senders or somebody claiming to be a member of the HydroMiner team asking you to send any funds to an address provided in the message. Do not visit websites that this kind of messages may contain. You’ll find more information on how it works here. To prevent yourself from frauds, it is recommended to use the EtherAddressLookup extension for Chrome browser to check if the site was blacklisted.
Below we have outlined a checklist helping you to stay secure:
- Enable 2FA (two-factor authentication) on all of your accounts;
- Use a strong password;
- Avoid auto-saving your login details including the password on ICO websites;
- Don’t share your login information with anyone and keep it in a safe place;
- Don’t open any messages from the unknown senders received via Slack, Telegram or email;
- Don’t send any funds to Ethereum addresses provided via Slack, Telegram, email or websites other than the official HydroMiner site hydrominer.org;
- Don’t trust any websites and the information they’re stating in relation to HydroMiner other than that which we publish via our official media, namely:
To purchase the H2O tokens, go to https://www.hydrominer.org/token-sale/ and follow the guidelines there. During the first ICO week, you will receive a 20% bonus for purchasing H2O tokens.